Thursday, September 17, 2009

My new favorite hobby...


So after hearing years and years of 5th Sunday Lessons on being prepared, I finally got myself a cool new hobby... I love buying food storage supplies. I am not kidding. I am getting the biggest highs from it.

I actually have a 3 month (almost) supply now. It is amazing... I love to go down to my storage room and look at it. These are just a few pictures of it.

I figure I don't really look all that great in all the new clothes that I buy anyway and food ALWAYS fits me. I am now buying that. I shop all the ads and go in and by the stuff that we use if it is on sale and then I buy at least 12 of what ever it is. It is such a great feeling to know that our family would be pretty prepared in case of an emergency. There are so many emergencies that we could encounter here in Salt Lake... financial included. I am going to keep going... it feels great. I still need to save up our stashed cash and a few other things but we are well on our way. I love my family and I want to be as prepared as possible for them.

I challenge you next time that you go to the grocery to pick up 12 of something that is on sale and stick it in your food storage.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad I got to see your storage room. I am super impressed and kind of inspired!

Donna said...

Jen,
Mark and I just went to an Emergency Preparedness Fair That our Stake put on yesterday. I have some great handouts that I will get to you!!

cherie said...

Yea! I love to stock up too! Now I wish we added-on a food storage room so mine could be as accessible as yours is! Congrats and thanks for the encouragement!

K J and the kids said...

fugetabowtit. we're just coming to your house.

We are surprisingly prepared as well. water (check) dry milk (check) wheat (check) wheat grinder ???? hmm. rocks and sidewalk will work (check, check)

Natalie said...

You don't have a 3-month supply. It's 1 1/2 since you're supporting me too, remember?

Actually, your storage is awesome. Even more impressive in person! Way to go!

Annie said...

i too love it! i only have to buy for 2, but i still love it! i have recently been getting things like garbage bags, paper towels, lotion, chapstik, toilet paper, tampons, you know, non-food things that i could not live without. we are in the process of finishing under our stairs (just needs grout and shelves!) to move all our purchases in to. it is a great feeling! happy shopping!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

Awesome Jennica. Mike and I have been building up our supply for nine months now and I barley have room for all of it. Two weeks ago our ward dreamed up some fabulous idea to pretend that we been struck by an earthquake and the bishop challenged us to live without going to the store for food for two weeks. I admit that i've been for bread and milk but that's about it. It's an eye opening experience. Thank goodness friday is fast approaching and we can be done with our fake disaster. My fridge is bare!

nicole said...

Good for you! Your storage looks amazing and it's so you....organized to a T!

Jeri said...

I'm so proud of you! Way to go!