Monday, September 1, 2008

So what is the dumbest mistake you have ever made...

Mine was tonight... Steve was up putting Alyssa's new bed together in her newly painted room. Outside we were filling up the hot tub because we just cleaned it out the other day. Steve asked me to go turn off the hose. I did. About 2 hours later Steve went outside for something... and came in screaming... "JENNICA! GO GET SOME BUCKETS AND TOWELS... CAMERON'S ROOM IS FLOODED!!!!!!!!!!" So I ran and brought down all 90 towels that we own and the kids and I started mopping up the carpet... while Shawn & Steve were bucketing it out of the window well. We used the shop-vac to vacuum, mopped the floor again, and Steve ran to my parents to get the 6 construction fans that they have in their basement. Did I mention that we just finished the basement a couple of months (like 1 1/2) ago... So here is what happened... He asked me to turn of the hose... which I did... what I didn't know was that there was actually two hoses in the hot tub. Well the hot tub started to overflow and the 2nd hose came out and planted it self right in Cameron's window well... and then promptly filled it up. It is amazing that I could see the carpet through the tears flowing down my cheeks... I felt like the worst person EVER!!! I couldn't even get mad at anyone but my self... crap I hate that!

So the moral of the story is... don't put a bed together on Sunday... your new basement will flood.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I've learned a valuable lesson...I will never assemble a bed on a Sunday. Don't be too hard on yourself, at least the basement didn't flood with red Koolaid! See, it could be worse! One story of someone who did something worse, my cousin, against the rules of her parents, decided to make donuts and burned their kitchen & other parts of their house down. See, doesn't that make you feel better!

Lisa said...

OH JEN - I AM SO SORRY!!! I know how you feel - Emma's dress. I wish we could fix your mistake as easily as I was able to fix mine.

SORRY!!!

K J and the kids said...

OH NO !!!!
We would have delivered the fans that you let us borrow. I'm so sorry !

That may seem stupid today, but I'm sure I'll do something even more stupid tomorrow to top that.
Give me time sista!

Natalie said...

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened to you guys. Our water heater burst just a few weeks after we had our brand new carpet installed. It's a sick feeling, but it will dry out. I'm glad you had access to so many fans! There's the bright side to your story right?

Jenn said...

I am crying a small river for you right now....not enough to flood my house but still the same I can feel your pain.

I am so sorry! Hope it dries quick just like new!

cherie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds like you know what to do to fix it, so it will be ok.

Kelly said...

Well wait a minute... Did Steve say "go shut off the HOSE" or "HOSES"? See, that's how I would make myself feel a little better. I'm great at shifting blame. Anyway, I'm sure it will look normal again in no time thanks to your resouceful husband. Did it ruin any walls or wood?

Jeri said...

oh man! what a nightmare. I am SO SORRY!

Jenny said...

It is a good thing that as humans we can laugh at ourselves when we look back on something. Too bad we can't laugh when we are actually going through those moments.

sue said...

I don't even count that as a stupid mistake, seriously. How were you to know there were TWO hoses? :) Sorry about your flood. Were you able to get it all cleaned up or do you have to do some repairs?