Monday, August 25, 2008

SCHOOL IS HERE!!!








So there is that day as a Mom that you look towards. Some days really excited for and some days not excited at all for... The first day of school for your youngest child! Well guys today was that day for me. Now you all know how Ashley is super busy... okay sometimes down right crazy... BUT... she is still my youngest child... AND she started 1st grade today! I really thought that I was excited... or more like so dang EXCITED. As the day inched closer and closer I realized that I was a tad bit sad. Not bawl my eyes out sad but "this is a really weird feeling" sad. I am in a fully different chapter in my life. I realized today that I would be running errands alone from now on, I wouldn't hear her playing in the other room while I was cleaning, she wouldn't be my lunch buddy etc, etc, etc. I really truly am going to miss her and her little voice.

So to make matters worse... I also had my first kid start 7th grade on Friday. Oh my gosh... could I be any older? Don't answer that I am feeling OLD! He absolutely loved 7th grade. 7th graders didn't go today ... so we went to lunch with Catrina & Ashlyn Leffel (oh ya and Dad). We had a great time. It was fun to hang out with just him.

My middle two kids are doing normal (I am thankful) things like going to 3rd & 5th grades. Those grades seem manageable and safe.

All of us sat down at dinner tonight and the kids told us their favorite first day memories.
  • Ashley - "I get a big girl desk & 3 recesses"
  • Cameron - "I like my new friend Triston... he is new in the school"
  • Alyssa - "I REALLY like my teacher... she is funny just like me"
  • Shawn - "I love that I have 7 different teachers incase I do something wrong I only have to see them for a short time." GREAT he is planning to do something wrong?... Let's hope not!
What a great day. I hope that tomorrow is not quite as weird... as much as I thought that I WOULD NOT miss my kids while they are at school... I did!

15 comments:

Natalie said...

That would be weird having all of your kids in school. Kind of sad. Kind of nice. I have 2 kids that you can borrow any time you want to fill that void. I'm just sayin'...

Jeri said...

you can borrow mine too - I still have 3 at home. Katrina will be in preschool for 2 hours, 3 days a week, but it still counts as her being home...

K J and the kids said...

I give you 1 day. 1 day and all of the saddness will melt away and you will be left with nothing but time in a quiet bottle.
Not the bottle that will land you on Oprah either :)

Love Shawn's thinking too ! :) ha ha

Lisa said...

Your kids look so cute in their pics. I saw Alyssa this morning and she looked so stinking cute!!!

DeDee said...

Great philosophy about Jr. High!

cherie said...

I agree that you'll get over the sadness. Wait until the requests for volunteering in the classroom and on fieldtrips come pouring in! You'll need that alone time to get things done!

Chelby said...

All I can say is Amen to that. Im glad we spent the day with butterflies in our stomachs together on friday or I may have not made it. Thanks for being such a great friend

sue said...

Wow! So fun to read about your kids first day of school! A 7th grader! That was one CRAZY year for me. I think I learned everything I know about everything I shouldn't know about that year! Watch out!

And you won't have kids at home during the day anymore, just like me! Well, Wyatt is just going to Kindergarten this year, but I'm still feeling the major withdrawal. Yes, the bawl my eyes out withdrawal. But I'm glad to know that someone can relate to me. All of my friends have younger kids still at home, and older kids and just MORE kids than me! :) Anyway - sorry to talk your ear off! :)

sue said...

Wow! So fun to read about your kids first day of school! A 7th grader! That was one CRAZY year for me. I think I learned everything I know about everything I shouldn't know about that year! Watch out!

And you won't have kids at home during the day anymore, just like me! Well, Wyatt is just going to Kindergarten this year, but I'm still feeling the major withdrawal. Yes, the bawl my eyes out withdrawal. But I'm glad to know that someone can relate to me. All of my friends have younger kids still at home, and older kids and just MORE kids than me! :) Anyway - sorry to talk your ear off! :)

Kim said...

It's a challenge sending your baby off to school for the first time. They are ready but it's usually mom that isn't. I always look forward to the first day of school! Enjoy running your errands alone, it's the best!

Melissa said...

They all look so cute!

Julie said...

Very good lookin kids.

Anonymous said...

Cute pics! Is it normal yet? Miss I have so much time to myself! I'm excited for Tanner to start.

Jenn said...

WEIRD! The thought of an empty quiet house I can't imagine. I imagine it will take some getting used to, but before you know it it will be Winter break and whala kids home all day again!

nicole said...

This seriously made me get teary eyed reading this thinking about the day my baby is in school all day. Your kids are darling. I love their memories...so cute!