Thursday, February 21, 2008

The dreaded maturation program...

So a couple of weeks ago we got the note home for the maturation program. We had planned on that Shawn would go because he is in 6th grade... well they decided (I guess last year) to let the 4th grade girls go also if the parents decided to have them go. We debated back and forth should we let Alyssa go this early or not? Well we ended up having her go. We decided that it would just give her a basis to ask questions if she wanted too. Okay... so what does this mean oh yah - that not only does Steve have to go with Shawn but I also have to go with Alyssa. Hum, I was not so sure that I was ready for all of this.

So now today it is here. I am in the library with all of the girls and their Mom's and they are telling us all about periods and such and Alyssa is as WHITE as a ghost (she hates blood by the way). She asks me a few questions. Really cute ones I might add. Very innocent questions. She sits through it and does pretty well and then at the end the teacher says "we have some little gift packets up here for all of the girls - in it is a few maxi pads, deodorant & a little paper that tells you a little more about everything." Apparently my daughter really likes gifts. She says "can I go get one Mom?" I say "of course" and she runs up there. When we are walking out she was looking in the gift bag and sees the maxi pads and says, as serious as ever... "SO... Can we start this tonight? I am ready!" I had to quickly explain that we don't decide when we become a big girl and have our period.

Wouldn't that be nice if it were all up to us?

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh sweet joy - the maturation program... I went to Connor's both years (5th and 6th). But my kids are pretty comfortable with this stuff so it wasn't a big deal for us. Good luck with that!

Lisa said...

That is so Alyssa - ok I ready! I love that you got to go with her, I can't even imagine how hard it would be without a parent by your side.

Jenny said...

If it were up to me and I could decide when to be a big girl, I would wait until...humm....NEVER!!!
I remember being mortified at my maturation program.

K J and the kids said...

I remember going to my maturation program. We went out to play on the playground afterward. I had to go to the bathroom so I squatted and peed by the swings.
I remember it like it was yesterday. :)

If it were up to us we would have huge boobs and periods in the 2nd grade :)
Too bad we can't decide when it ends too.

Natalie said...

I am not ready for the maturation program and talk. Good thing I still have a couple of years. How cute is Alyssa though? I love her comment. What a sweetie!

katie said...

How come at the maturation program I went to, the girls left with a rose and the boys left with a donut. I really hated that.

natalie spratling said...

oh my, my girls have it in the 5th grade...coming up soon. I wish we could pick when we begin and I would opt for when they go to college.

jenn said...

Oh to be so innocent and nieve again!

I only wish we got to choose when we started and ended our period...exclamation point! I am ready to throw in the towel....I mean rag today!

Julie said...

For the record, I never wanted big boobs and especially not in 2nd grade!!! I can't wait for that special day I get to go to the class. NOT.

Annie said...

When I was in the 4th grade, our teacher got to pick 3 students to go a year early. Needless to say that meant I had to go with Katie! I'm pretty sure my mom has still never sad the words maxi pad or tampon! Bless her heart!

DeDee said...

That's hilarious! I am definitely not ready for that. I too remember going to mine...I was bored so I tried to sneak into the boys. Big surprise!?! (FYI: I was unsuccessful.)

lizzie said...

so i had the big sex talk with anna a few weeks ago. she seemed okay about it. but i still haven't told her about periods yet...i am terrified of that!