Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stake Conference...

I never in my childhood and teenage years thought that I would say this...
I LOVE Stake Conference.

It started out last night. We went to dinner with Dean & Jami Morrell to Noodles. We had such a relaxing great time. We leisurely ate (while ours and their kids all babysat each other). Then we went to the stake center. We arrived about 15 minutes early, we thought that was good enough. We ended up getting seats in the back uncomfortable chairs which is ok but we were just surprised at how many people had come already. We also sat by our friends and neighbors, the Leffel's. We had some really great speakers. Here is a list of a few... not all of them... but a few.

SATURDAY NIGHT (Adult session)
1st - Bishop Fred Allen (32nd Ward)
He talked about loving your neighbors, family and friends. How we have many different "angels" in our life and we should cherish and love each one of them. Wonderful talk!

2nd - President Bryan Call (Stake Presidency & our ward)
He is really always one of my favorite speakers... super spiritual. he had 10 "points" to make. I will list a few:
* AVOID debt. Have a years supply of food and be debt free! Make a budget plan.
* Don't be obsessed with the person who you follow in your calling... you will do great.
* Don't be obsessed with the title of your calling.
* Keep a sense of humor.
* Serve our families - Do the little things... big things will follow.
* Complications will come - do your best.
* Be a participant in the Lord's plan.
* Remember that it is by the small and simple things that great things are brought to pass.

3rd - Elder Jon M. Huntsman Sr. (of the seventy)
* Sorrows will come. Kids, grand kids, family members will fall out of the "nest"... embrace them. Teach them.
* Put your houses in order. Raise your kids the "right" way. Have family home evening, pray together, read the scriptures together. Teach your kids about the atonement and repentance.

4th - Elder M. Russell Ballard (Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)
* BE PREPARED!
* Mom's counsel with your husbands to try and work it out, if you are working outside the home to be home when your kids arrive home. They need you.
* Avoid debt! (yes it was talked about all night) Get your houses in order. Self reliance can't be obtained if we are full of debt. He said to get a plan together THIS WEEK.
* Be self sufficient in your spirituality and your finances.

What a GREAT evening... we finished it off with ice cream at the Demann's house. We had a great evening with really good speakers and really good friends and examples.

SUNDAY MORNING (Family session)

Elder M. Russell Ballard
* His main point was "KEEP IT SIMPLE". Don't let the gospel be complex. Focus on love in our homes. Don't raise your voice (I think he was talking specifically to me with this talk). Listen to the spirit and be calm. Step outside rather than yell or get mad.

President Stephen Hunter (Stake President)
* Gratitude and Happiness. It is our blessing and privilege to be thankful and say thank you. Write thank you notes. Be thankful for even the "little" things.

Elder Jon M. Huntsman
* Mom's you are the nurturer in the home. You set the tone and temperament of your home. Establish a house of prayer and stability.
* Dad's don't raise your voice. Give blessings to your wife and kids.

Elder Joseph B. Worthlin (Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)
* Storms, sorrow and grief will come into our lives. Carry on! Don't say "why me?" instead ask "what now". Endure to the end. We can learn and grow from our trials.

Tonight we asked our kids what their favorite thing about last week was and what their goal for next week is... they all said that they loved hearing our Apostles of the Lord speak today and they loved that after we were able to shake the hands of Elder Joseph B. Worthlin and Elder Jon M. Huntsman. I would have to agree... I feel very spiritually fed. I loved this weekend. I really do love to hear them teach us. You can just feel of their spirit and how fun to actually get to talk to them too.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I loved it to. Darrell and I have taken to heart the advice to make memories for our children and grandchildren. I took notes, I should have just copied yours!

Julie said...

Your notes are awesome!! I am so happy you shared about Sunday cuz Quinci just didn't want to be there so I didn't get too much out of that meeting. But for Saturday night we got there at 6:15 and it was still pretty packed. I think we were onthe 8th row.

Natalie said...

Thanks for sharing your notes. It sounds like a great stake conference. I didn't realize this, but you're in the same stake as Ben's brother Tucker and his wife Julie. Funny!

Natalie said...

Thanks for sharing your notes. It sounds like a great stake conference. I didn't realize this, but you're in the same stake as Ben's brother Tucker and his wife Julie. Funny!

jenn said...

Thanks for sharing, I stayed home from church with my two sick kids. Your thoughts and notes gave me the spirtual uplift I missed out on yesterday!

natalie spratling said...

What a great opportunity. They always give such sound advice. I remember when we lived in Midvale we had a lot of the General Authorities come and speak, that is one thing that I do miss living up here. We have a few visit but not as often. Love to hear what they talked about, always good council.

DeDee said...

I really enjoyed it too...too bad I didn't see you! :(